This video shows how to create a dues definition for a single payment. (Duration 1:59)
This article will walk through how to create a new Dues Definition for a Single Payment.
A Dues Definition refers to a dues option that will be offered to members. The Dues Definition defines the dues amount, additional surcharges, late fee, and payment type (single payment). One or more Dues Definitions should be defined for each of your member statuses (i.e. New member, Active, Sustainer, etc. including any local statuses defined by your League). Note, a single Dues Definition can be assigned to multiple statuses.
The screenshot below shows examples of Dues Definitions.
The examples include:
- Active Dues - Single Payment of $200
- Active Dues + $50 Donation - Single Payment totaling $250
- New Member Dues - Single Payment of $175
- Sustainer Dues - Single Payment of $150
You will need Dues Administrator or Administrator administrative access level.
Where to Go:
To get to Dues Setup, follow these steps:
- From the Member Portal, click on Admin > Member Management
- Select Dues Listing
Creating a Dues Definition:
- Click the plus sign on the right side of the page.
- Enter a descriptive Dues Name like Active Dues.
- Enter a Dues Description (optional) describing the dues definition.
- e.g. This option includes the dues charge, plus associated credit card processing fees.
- Enter the amount of the dues to be paid into the Amount field
- Indicate whether or not you'd like to add a surcharge using the Allow Surcharge? dropdown.
- If you've indicated a surcharge, enter the Surcharge Amount
- Surcharges can be used to add the amount of the credit card transaction fee to the dues amount.
- e.g. Stripe charges 2.2% + 30 cents per transaction. To calculate the surcharge for dues in the amount of $200, multiply 200 by 0.022 and add 30 cents.
- Indicate whether or not a late fee will be associated with this dues item using the Allow Late Fee? dropdown
- Enter an Accounting Reference into the Accounting Reference field. This reference will be included in dues reports. This could be a number from your accounting chart of accounts, or could just be a descriptor i.e. "active-dues".
- Enter a Sort Number to indicate where in the list of dues options displayed to the member, the dues definition will appear. In our example, we set the sort to 1 to make the dues definition appear first.
- If you would like a confirmation email to be sent to the member, select Stripe Dues Confirmation Email under Confirmation Email to Use. Here's an example of what the Stripe Dues Confirmation Email looks like: http://support.jl.org/support/solutions/articles/61000293273-stripe-dues-confirmation-email-receipt
Stripe will also send its own transaction receipt
- In the Payment Type dropdown, choose the following option:
- Single Payment - The member will pay dues with a single payment.
- If you would like to offer a particular dues option, e.g. Active Dues + $50 Donation for different statuses, you must create two Dues Definitions, one for each status. Create the Dues Definition for single payment, and then click the Copy iconto make a copy of the Dues Definition. Edit the copy and change the Name and Description (if needed), and the Payment Type, and related settings.
- Make sure the setting Set Dues Period Span is set to the League year for which you are collecting dues. When you change the setting to a new year, existing Dues Definitions will be copied to that year. If you change the setting to an upcoming year, you will no longer be able to use Dues Management to collect dues for the current year. If you need to collect any left over payments for the current year, you can setup a payment page using the Simple Store.