This video shows how to create a dues definition for recurring payments or autorenew. (Duration 1:40)
This article will walk through how to create a new Dues Definition for recurring payments or autorenew.
A Dues Definition refers to a dues option that will be offered to members. The Dues Definition defines the dues amount, additional surcharges, late fee, and payment type (recurring). One or more Dues Definitions should be defined for each of your member statuses (i.e. New member, Active, Sustainer, etc. including any local statuses defined by your League). Note, a single Dues Definition can be assigned to multiple statuses.
The screenshot below shows examples of Dues Definitions.
The examples include:
- Active Dues: Autorenew - Automatically charge dues of $200 each year
- New Member - Autorenew - Automatically charge dues of $175 each year
- Sustainer Dues - Recurring Payments - Automatically charge dues of $150 each year
You will need Dues Administrator or Administrator administrative access level.
Where to Go:
To get to Dues Setup, follow these steps:
- From the Member Portal, click on Admin > Member Management
- Select Dues Listing
Creating a Dues Definition:
- Click the plus sign on the right side of the page.
- Enter a descriptive Dues Name like Sustainer Dues - Recurring Payments
- Enter a Dues Description (optional) describing the dues definition.
- e.g. This option includes the dues charge, plus associated credit card processing fees, which will be charged Annually.
- Enter the amount of the dues to be paid into the Amount field
- Indicate whether or not you'd like to add a surcharge using the Allow Surcharge? dropdown.
- If you've indicated a surcharge, enter the Surcharge Amount
- Surcharges can be used to add the amount of each credit card transaction fee to the dues amount. Stripe charges 2.2% + 30 cents per transaction.
- Indicate whether or not a late fee will be associated with this dues item using the Allow Late Fee? dropdown
- Enter an Accounting Reference into the Accounting Reference field. This reference will be included in dues reports. This could be a number from your accounting chart of accounts, or could just be a descriptor i.e. "Sustainer Dues - autorenew".
- Enter a Sort Number to indicate where in the list of dues options displayed to the member, the dues definition will appear.
- If you would like a confirmation email to be sent to the member, select Stripe Dues Confirmation Email under Confirmation Email to Use. Here's an example of what the Stripe Dues Confirmation Email looks like: http://support.jl.org/support/solutions/articles/61000293273-stripe-dues-confirmation-email-receipt
- Stripe will also send its own transaction receipt
- In the Payment Type dropdown, choose the following option:
- Recurring - With a Recurring payment type, also referred to as auto-renewal, the member can choose to automatically charge her credit card the full amount of dues at some frequency. For Junior Leagues, this would most often be used to offer members the ability to pay their dues automatically each year.
- Select a frequency from the Renew Frequency for Auto-renew dropdown. This determines the frequency at which the member will be charged for the full amount of dues. For Junior Leagues, this will usually be set to Yearly.
- Enter a number into the Renew Frequency Interval dropdown to set the time interval between dues payment, according to the frequency selected in Renew Frequency for Auto-renew. For example, if Renew Frequency for Auto-renew is set to Yearly and 1 is entered for Renew Frequency Interval, the member's credit card will automatically be charged the full amount of dues, once a year, starting on the day the member submitted the first recurring payment, and on that day for subsequent one year intervals.
- If you would like to offer a particular dues option, e.g. Sustainer Dues - Recurring Payment to other statuses, you must create multiple Dues Definitions, one for each status. Create the Dues Definition for recurring, and then click the Copy iconto make a copy of the Dues Definition. Edit the copy and change the Name, Description and Amount (if needed), check the Payment Type, and related settings.
- Make sure the setting Set Dues Period Span is set to the League year for which you are collecting dues. When you change the setting to a new year, existing Dues Definitions will be copied to that year. If you change the setting to an upcoming year, you will no longer be able to use Dues Management to collect dues for the current year. If you need to collect any left over payments for the current year, you can setup a payment page using the Simple Store.